Sunday 18 March 2007

Garlic. onions and fruit.

This is my 3 day bonfire which enabled me to get rid of a very large mound of cut down brambles and clear some ground ready for digging.
Have finally got my overwintering garlic and onions in the ground they have been in beg wooden crates for the time being. Popped them in a small bed near the top of the plot.
Got the fruit bed extended and the 5 redcurrants I had heeled in elsewhere moved to their permanent positions.
Have started digging out where my spuds are going. I have got as earlies, Red Duke of York, Arran Pilot and Pentland Javelin. Am pulling out the biggest bramble roots, but will let the clearing power of spuds sort out the little ones. Have yet to buy some second earlies and maincrops.
In my mini greenhouse at home, my Greensage peas are starting to show their head, no sign of the Feltham First yet though. The Lyon Prizetaker leeks are doing well, looking like blades of grass. My onions from seed HytechF1, don't seem to be suffering either. I've had a few casualties along the way, down to my inexperience no doubt, but they are all in individual modules so I don't have to disturb them too much.
Mt strawberry seedling are getting bigger, seed packet sadi I would get fruit this year, but can't see it somehow. Plan to but some plants to beef up my planned strawb bed when I get it constructed.
Jerusalem fartichokes still to go in, got an area earmarked for that, just got to make time to get it done.

Thanks
Kirsty

1 comment:

Evington Hilltop Adventures said...

A quality blog Kirsty, very enjoyable reading.