Wednesday 15 August 2007

Veg stuff

Well, I have lost a load of tomatoes to blight, but some that are in pots and grow bags seem to be doing okay.
Loads of runner and french beans coming along nicely, I'm picking every other day. Leeks doing well and I have pumpkins and squash starting to form.
Checked out the sweetcorn, can see the flowers starting to come at the tops of the plants, hopeful I may have some cobs to harvest this year.
Got my PSB in and netted it, that is flourishing and the other day took home a lovely sweet summer cabbage home for tea. Have also got my January King and Savoy cabbages out. Going to sow my spring cabbages soon.
Weather has been perfect for brambles and nettles, its a full time job trying to keep on top of them, but getting there. On the plus side, am able to pick fat juicy blackberries from along the fences on my plot. Greengages on the tree are ripe, off to get some of them soon. Hope I've got enough jars for the jam I'm planning.
Got an apple tree on the plot that I'm also keeping an eye on, be having those for apple jelly soon as they're ready. Got a little while to go yet though.
Salads and spring onions have been cropping well. Got a reasonable haul of shallots, which have been pickled. Overwintere onions did well also.
Not too chuffed with the garlic, bulbs not very big, some did not split at all, flavour good though. Going to see if I fare better with overwintering garlic.

Thanks for listening
Kirsty

No comments: